[time-nuts] Alternate frequency sources : DVB-T and ISDN?

phil fortime at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 24 09:01:41 UTC 2009

>> Speaking of alternate sources: Has any time-nut considered using the ISDN
>> telephone network [2]?
>
> I think ISDN is finally dead here in Sweden. I can check if my ISDN
> connection is out for good. However, I wonder if the modern replacement to
> ISDN, such as ADSL is actually synchronised. It too uses OFDM/COFDM
> transmission and provides pilot-tones.
>
>>        Chris

Should you have a catastrophic failure of the gps system and Loran is dead
and buried, the only true source for time/frequency will be from the
respective government sites. In the US it would be WWVB, WWV, NTS
(internet), and acts (Telephone).

I think most of you are forgetting that the bulk of the alternate sources
being discussed derive their time/frequency guidance from gps. Cell towers,
tv stations, tv networks, and the like will be left to their local timebases
until an alternate correction scheme is developed and applied. The major tv
networks "had" cesium standards, and I would think they still do but most
others will be left to drift until they can be upgraded to an alternate
guidance system.

Another thought, if that "catastrophic" failure should take out the gps
satellites, chances are it could take out the tv satellites too. Then all
that's left is copper, fiber, radio, and microwave sites.

 If you need a reliable backup, perhaps it's time to dust off the old wwvb
receivers and integrate them with these cheap rubidium standards. Perhaps
now they will start bringing more than 50 bucks on epay!

Phil