[time-nuts] NMEA Time

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 20:16:20 UTC 2009

Sorry no idea.
It will however be offset from time if your source encodes rs232 and then
you decode it...
Easy way for everyone with a short wave receiver and scope would be to
measure the tick on 1 channel and if I recall the pulse out or you can also
look for the IRIGB leading data. As I recall its fixed and you can see it as
a pattern
But adding a server and etc I am sure its close to 1 second.
Just did not have a need to get that detailed.
I run gps connected to a pic that drives a home brew irigb gen and that
drives numbers of decoders.
The pic does several things. It extracts the time from gps and then
calculates the proper time to acount for the irigb encoder delay.
Essentially I output the next second ahead of 0 time.
Liked all of this pretty well and did essentially the same trick with a
smpte tc generator using jam sync. Works very well. I jam every 10 minutes
so that its always on time. If power fails I jam as soon as things are
stable within 10 seconds.