[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 05:04:23 UTC 2009

That's only a small issue in my opinion.

I've designed broadband systems that run at ~50% to 150% of self  resonant
frequency, and it works quite well if you put a 50 - 220 Ohm resistor  in
series with the inductor as the other member noted.

It works well because it basically is a single-pole system, and above SRF
you get the parasitic capacitive loading into the series resistor, and
below you get the inductive loading into the series resistor. At SRF there
should be very little AC load.

The impedance of the 220Ohm in series with the inductor will be so much
higher than the 50 Ohm line impedance that the increase in SWR due to  the
bias-t will be negligible.

A problem is the stub generated by the solder connection to the inductor:
that could work as a load capacitor if not designed properly.

If you have a known frequency (such as 1574MHz) then one very good bias-t
is a quarter-wave transmission line made with coax cable, or a PCB trace.

The 1/4 wave transformer will totally keep the AC load to a minimum if
designed properly, and should be wide-band enough to work well even with
tolerances in its length.

We designed DirectTV front-ends with heavy-duty (1500 Amps!!) lightning
protection at the end of the 1/4 transformer, and it worked quite well for
frequency ranges of 900MHz to 2GHz.. The protection diodes were so big that
their intrinsic capacitance was basically an RF short, but it didn't matter
because of the 1/4 transformer.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 10/1/2009 21:50:09 Pacific Daylight Time,