[time-nuts] Low cost alternate to Dual Mixer/DMTD

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 22:13:35 UTC 2009

Bruce

Yes, there are a few disadvantages using this simple low cost configuration
along with all of its advantages.
You can not get everything for nothing, but you can get higher speed, better
resolution and less noise from this.

> This can not be used to evaluate the stability of an offset oscillator.
Correct,  It can not test osc frequencies that are much different than the
ref osc such as an offset Osc,
BUT one of the many advantages of this configuration is that an offset Osc
is not needed.
This will give freq offset data down to under 1 ms (>1 kHz) without Any
offset osc.

>You need to ensure that the isolation between the 2 sources is sufficient
I have no problem with signal injection at 1e-12 resolution levels, even
with 10811s without buffers
using 10db attenuators and ground Isolation transformers at each Osc output.
Maybe due to the fact that they are locked.
This is verified by adding a slow low level freq modulation on the DUT osc
and plotting the freq change on the reference's EFC.
The phase error can also be changed by adding large or small offsets
at the Loop amp's input to check for any pulling tendency.

ws
From: "Bruce Griffiths" <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>