[time-nuts] Galileo and GPS

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 2 23:34:42 UTC 2009

Martyn,

Martyn Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks Bj?rn, Magnus and Said for the input.
>
> That's another upgrade I'll (not) look forward to.

You will not have to make the upgrade, it is only if you want the added
benefit of multiple constellations.

The current GPS/GLONASS constellation issues is much hairier then I
expect that the upcomming GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO/QNSS/COMPASS system seems
to be converging towards.

The mass-market receivers isn't there yet, but even a full-featured chip
with massive deep P-tracking and such only costs about 20 dollars to
manufacture...

I still haven't seen any normal consumer goods attempting the L1 C/A &
L2C path... despite the gain that would give more advanced consumers in
added navigation precission. SBAS and LBAS support are other aspects
which still have not penetrated the market fully either.

Cheers,
Magnus