[time-nuts] GPS antenna and lightning

Brian Kirby kilodelta4foxmike at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:17:31 UTC 2009

I dis-agree - call me an old fart or whatever.  Your points are valid
and proper logic, but every situation is just not the same.

Bonding everything is proper, but without an effective ground, lightning
will still seek a path to dissipate itself.  We are taught if the ground
is not good to set up a  larger ground field to dissipate it.  But there
comes a cost factor and trade offs.

On a lot of mountain tops there is no way to get an effective ground.
You cant drive ground rods in rock.  Laying cable on top of the mountain
is also very in-effective.  Bringing ground up with power is in-effective.

Large transmitters will also take higher levels of energy because the
components are larger and able to dissipate more energy.  Most large
transmitters use tubes and a high voltage device stands a better chance
of surviving.

Stopping the arcing is the mission , but unless you have a place for it
to go, shunt, series or etc,  it still will jump.

I've read White, Hart, Malone and Hill too.  Read Denny if you want to
see some conflicts in grounding.

Brian