[time-nuts] Comparison of Ashtech Z-12 and Z-Sensor for timing

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 19:44:43 UTC 2009

As I understand it,  the Z-Sensor is basically a Z-12 without the front panel.  The design uses more modern ICs, etc.

Most of the Z-12s have sold from $1000-$1400.  Best to get one with a good L1/L2 antenna...  those will set you back several hundred doallars.  I have seen Z-sensors offered without antennas for $1000,  with no takers.

All the Z-12s have a 1PPS output.   I don't know how well it performs or if it takes full advantage of L1/L2 signals and carrier phase processing.

There was a Z12 manufacturing option to allow an external frequency standard input.  It could accommodate any freq up to 20MHz in 10KHz steps.

There are some timing receivers out there that do carrier phase based timing...  very hard to find and big bucks when you do.

I am looking for a GPS receiver to provide high accuracy, low jitter timing
pulses in my lab.