[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 4 21:21:22 UTC 2009

> But that doesn't change the fact that if a drunk businessman or a
> bored 6 year old with a new toy can stealthily endanger all the
> passengers on a plane, the responsibility - and liability - should be
> with the aircraft designer.
>
> Bringing it back to the normal topic at hand, I wonder - if you had a
> radio receiver tuned to WWV, and a GPS with a 1pps, if you could see
> the relativistic effect of flying at 500 knots at 30K feet and log it
> on your computer?

500 kts = about 250 m/s.
C^2 = 9E16 m^2/s^2
V^2/C^2 = 6.2E4/9E16 = .6E-12

A pretty small thing to look for

Uncertainty in frequency from WWV due to ionospheric issues is on the order
of 0.1 to 1 Hz. Call it about 0.1 ppm for the 10 MHz signal.

Doppler effect on frequency from WWV is 2.5E2/3E8 = 1E-5 (10 ppm), which is
orders of magnitude larger than anything else you're going to see.