[time-nuts] GPS from a window seat

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:06:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> There is of course a non technical, non EMC reason for such a ban. Security. It might
> be considered that exact position and speed information could be of use to a passenger
> with ill intent. Note that most airlines turn of the moving map on the descent.

And it might be that denying me coffee in the morning has severe
security repercussions. This hypothetical passenger with ill intent
would obey a "no gps" ban because...?

Not all gpses look like gpses. The globalsat ND100 looks like just
another thumb drive, lots of people have hacked a gps into netbooks.
Data loggers are featureless little blocks that fit neatly into a
shirt pocket.

I've seen a few people fiddling about with their personal
communicators on approach, and even more people playing with their
personal media players; it seems very unlikely that someone with
actual intent to do harm (rather than simple selfishness) would give
any consideration to a restriction on gps - aside from wondering when
the flight attendants will make their final cabin walk-through.

CK
(who'd rather see that cellphones be banned on aircraft because we
don't want to be stuck in a can for a couple of hours with people
blabbering loudly.)