[time-nuts] Down under Time Nuts & Tsunami's

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 01:52:02 UTC 2009

Hmmm. I'm in a pedantic mood today, but I think this is worth raising.

"09:44 EDT" - what is that?

I'm presuming Nic (emailing from bigpond and presumably in Australia)
means "Eastern Daylight Time" which I assume he means Eastern Standard
Time + 1 hour for daylight savings. I thought it was suppoed to be
AEST for Australian Eastern Summer Time, but I also recall (a long
time ago) it being said that there is no standard name for daylight
savings time zones in Australia. We have EST, CST and WST - but no
offical names for summer. Is this still correct?

I always use 09:44 (UT+11) to remove all ambiguity. I would encourage
all time-nuts to use the same system because it is completely
unambiguous and can be used wordwide.

Jim Palfreyman