[time-nuts] Tbolt instability

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:43:10 UTC 2009

I think I might have found at least part of the answer. Extreme sensitivity
to ambient temperature. I held a heat gun a couple of feet away and in under
a minute, it went nuts. I don't think I was heating the OCXO that much. I
believe it was the internal temperature sensor. I didn't get it that hot,
maybe 90 degrees F or so. It seems to me that it would have been better for
them to try to sense the internal temperature of the OCXO somehow rather
than ambient if that was the aim of installing a sensor to start with. If it
is the internal sensor, then going to an externally mounted, much better
thermally insulated OCXO wouldn't help. I know some have retrofitted Tbolts.
Did it cure the temperature sensitivity?