[time-nuts] 5370A

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 14:57:00 UTC 2009

Joe,

Here's a coarse way to use the front panel to see if any large DC bias
errors have developed in your Input Amp and/or Schmitt Trigger circuits (A3
and A4) for either or both channels. (Disclaimer: this doesn't replace the
corresponding DC bias adjustments in the manual, but it is a quick way to
observe the symptoms that get progressively worse when either an Input Amp
or Schmitt Trigger I.C. are beginning to go bad.)

For each input channel (and while watching its "Trigger" LED) manually
rotate its "Level" pot back and forth, putting the pot in the center of the
range in which the "Trigger" LED repetitively blinks. At this pot position,
your displayed "Trigger Level" should be close to zero volts and the knob's
pointer should be pointing approximately straight up (12 o'clock position).

For this test you want just barely enough input signal so that there's a
very narrow, "exact" setting of the "Trigger Level" pot that produces
triggering.

Assuming you're using the 5370A's timebase output as the source - and to
make it easier to "eyeball" the center of trigger range - configure your
inputs for:

    Start Com
    50 ohm Input
    Divide by 10 attenuation

For each channel, if triggering is centered near zero volts (say, +/-
0.03V), that's a good sign. However, if triggering centers at a larger DC
offset, that may be a sign of trouble in an Input Amp and/or Schmitt
Trigger. Small errors may be adjusted-out via their respective DC bias
adjustments. However as the I.C.s continue to deteriorate, there comes a
time when the only solution is to replace the bad I.C.(s).

Hopefully your unit isn't so afflicted. ...Just covering the bases...

Best,
Greg