[time-nuts] 5370A

Greg Burnett gbusg at comcast.net
Sat Oct 10 15:24:06 UTC 2009

Roy,

The HP 5370A rear mounted heat-sink typically heats up to around 61 degrees
C. This is very hot to the touch, so I suspect your unit's temperature is
normal (unless it's running way hotter than 61 degrees C).

The buzzing transformer might just be due to loose, vibrating laminations.
You might try tightening the transformer's bolts to see if that reduces the
buzz?

Best,
Greg

P.S. I agree that the rear mounted heat sinks of most other HP equipment run
significantly cooler. The models that run so hot to the touch are the
5370A/B, 5359A, and many of the legacy HP pulse generators (from Boblingen
Division).