[time-nuts] Getting GPIB to work on HP5382B Universal

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Oct 14 01:16:24 UTC 2009

You don't need NI-Visa for the GPIB Toolkit, but you do need NI488.2
drivers.  You can get NI488.2 support with the Agilent I/O libraries.

You won't, however, be able to use the GPIB Toolkit to graph anything
directly, except for the cases that it already handles.  There is a time-
and frequency-stability analysis app in the current GPIB Toolkit beta, but
it's meant for the HP 5370 and SR 620 time-interval counters, not
frequency-oriented instruments like the 5328B.  (With 10-ns resolution it
would be possible to get some basic low-resolution stability graphs out of
the 5328B, but I don't have an easy way to support it right now.)

You might have a look at Ulrich Bangert's PLOTTER and EZ-GPIB utilities.  If
you can write a basic data-logging solution with either Labview, EZ-GPIB, or
the talk.exe/query.exe/listen.exe utilities in the GPIB Toolkit, you can
graph the resulting data with PLOTTER.

Alternatively, you could contact me offline and we could try to get support
for the 5328B into the TI.EXE utility...

-- john, KE5FX