[time-nuts] Getting GPIB to work on HP5382B Universal

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Thu Oct 15 02:24:11 UTC 2009

Dear All,

To clarify, I was not comparing a quick app to read/set a HP 59309A digital clock with some of the awesome applications produced by the members of this group.

Additionally, I would not recommend Visual basic for a large application either!

My idea is to encourage everyone to roll their own application even if it is just to learn how software works.

I make all my code modular, then I am not constantly rewriting error handling, logging etc each time a new application is needed.

I work with mainly 1980ish HP gear so the HPIB command set's are simple, and thankfully the I/O isn't too demanding.

I _always_ handle thrown errors/warnings, indeed while attempting recovery or a making a clean exit I automatically attempt to trace the error back to the source and log it, be it my code or the vendors library.

And make sure all of your application exits when it encounters an error, especially when threading out..

As the immortal rock group said, "you can't always get what you want, but you can try and program what you need" or something along those lines ;)

Mark
VK2HMC