[time-nuts] fast freq. synthesis schemes

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 12:10:23 UTC 2009

Luis
There is not really enough information to make a good recommendation. Is
this a one off or is the plan to make multiple units, what are the phase
noise  requirements, what are the cost limitations? If cost is a major issue
there are  in my opinion only two options.
 In both cases a VCO has to be used presetting with a fast  D/A.  In the
first case you pre scale by 16 and feed an AD 9910 DDS as a  programmable
divider using a 100 MHz output in to a Hittite HNC 439 phase  comparator with
all the shortcomings of a DDS multiplied by the total divider  ratio.
The second option is a Hittite HMC 700 fractional PLL and use 50 or 60 MHZ
compare frequency. You have to pre scale by 2 . Having used the all the
above  components I can tell you the DDS works reliable at 1200 MHz in and the
700  works great at 9 GHz.
 I have not gone for switching speed but in my case emphasis is on  phase
noise and resolution. As a matter of fact a friend of mine and I are doing  a
low cost signal generator from 100KHz to 26 GHz in one Hz resolution using
the  Hittite 700 part. Phase noise goal at 8 GHz is -100 dbc, 10 KHz offset.
We use  surplus yigs.
Bert Kehren WB5MZJ

In a message dated 10/14/2009 3:25:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,