[time-nuts] Gold plating on aluminum

Florian Teply usenet at teply.info
Tue Oct 20 20:06:27 UTC 2009

Am Tuesday 20 October 2009 21:01:06 schrieb Corby Dawson:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a project to plate the lamp reflector in an HP 5065A with
> gold. The existing reflector is aluminum. What little I can find suggests
> that in addition to some preliminary plating the layer just below the
> gold should be nickel as the mirror operates at a high temperature (100
> deg C). Does anyone know of a company that can do this plating for me?

Hi,

i dunno where you're located and how much money you'd like to shell out, but i
can tell what we used at my former employers. We used Nickel/Gold plated
aluminium housings for broadband rf stuff and usually we had those cases made
by either TWM (?) in UK or KMCO in Japan. Funny thing is, that KMCO nearly
always was cheaper, quicker and higher in quality both of the milling as well
as the gold plating, even though delivery was to Germany...
But i don't know whether or not hey would offer the gold plating on its own.

HTH,
Florian