[time-nuts] fast freq. synthesis schemes

BriMDavis at aol.com BriMDavis at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 01:45:04 UTC 2009

Luis wrote:

>  I'm looking for the schemes used on the frequency synthesizers
> that change frequency in few microseconds time (or less)
<snip>

>  Does anyone know of some paper or tech notes from
> some instrument or modules that show block diagrams
> of such?

 I've never done much with fast PLL's, but here's some references
for direct analog and direct digital synthesizers:

-----------

 One of the "classic" synthesizer books that covers direct
synthesis techniques is available in a reasonably priced
paperback reprint ( but the photos aren't as nice as I
recall from the original hardcover ):

 Frequency Synthesizers: Theory and Design, Third Edition
Vadim Manassewitsch
Wiley-Interscience
_http://www.amazon.com/Frequency-Synthesizers-Theory-Vadim-Manassewitsch/dp/
0471772631/_
(http://www.amazon.com/Frequency-Synthesizers-Theory-Vadim-Manassewitsch/dp/0471772631/)

-----------

My favorite DDS book reprints many of the classic DDS papers:

 Direct Digital Frequency Synthesizers
V. Kroupa (ed)
IEEE Press
_http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Digital-Frequency-Synthesizers-Venceslav/dp/07
80334388_
(http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Digital-Frequency-Synthesizers-Venceslav/dp/0780334388)

-----------

Another good reprint to have on hand, but not specific to
your fast-switching question, is the following:

 Phase Noise in Signal Sources (Theory and Application)
W. P. Robins
Peter Peregrinus Ltd / IEE
_http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Signal-Sources-Theory-Application/dp/086341026X
/_
(http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Signal-Sources-Theory-Application/dp/086341026X/)

-----------

 This web page about the HP 51xx family includes some HP direct synthesis
app notes and articles:

 _http://www.hpmemory.org/news/5100/hp5100_page_00.htm_
(http://www.hpmemory.org/news/5100/hp5100_page_00.htm)
_http://www.hpmemory.org/an/pdf/an_96.pdf_
(http://www.hpmemory.org/an/pdf/an_96.pdf)

-----------

 Rick Karlquist's UFFC papers are a great read on direct synthesizer
topology, albeit geared towards a specific application:

_http://www.karlquist.com/FCS95.pdf_ (http://www.karlquist.com/FCS95.pdf)
_http://www.karlquist.com/FCS96.pdf_ (http://www.karlquist.com/FCS96.pdf)

-----------

 For IEEE/UFFC members, the UFFC archive is a good resource for
synthesizer design info:

  _http://www.ieee-uffc.org/main/publications/fcs/index.asp_
(http://www.ieee-uffc.org/main/publications/fcs/index.asp)

 The basic Comstron frequency plan is summarized in their 1988 patent:

  _http://www.google.com/patents?id=bgA7AAAAEBAJ&dq=4725786_
(http://www.google.com/patents?id=bgA7AAAAEBAJ&dq=4725786)

 The Comstrons make great lab synthesizers, and are often available
cheap on e$ay but I'd advise keeping a spares unit on hand for
troubleshooting and repair.

have fun,
Brian