[time-nuts] 7150+ filter problem

David t_list_1_only at braw.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 23:20:33 UTC 2009

> 15 minutes is all it took for the signature ffffffzzt pop of
> the filter letting go.
>
> It has (to say the least), forced the issue.
>
> Now I've removed all the solder around the earth pin, but I
> still can't get the cover off. Does it just require brute
> force to pull it off or there something else holding it on?

>> never taken an FN372 apart, not really worth it as?they are
>> about ?25 from RS components. Most filters are epoxy potted
>> so I think you will have to use a lot of brute force to open
>> it up and then break up the epoxy.

I went the brutal route, I think I 'peeled' the metal (in strips) off the
potting and then just cut everything out from the back until I found the
three pins. As for is it worth fixing, when I've fixed something I know how
it's been done and who is to blame next time. Besides, £25 for a mains
filter is painful when the whole meter cost £20 via fleabay - it's one of
those Scottish things.

David
GM4HJQ