[time-nuts] Oscillator comparison

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 30 02:01:29 UTC 2009

I have just recently bought a working HP 5345A counter.
Much to my surprise, I find that the oscillator is a Vectron 2810007-11.
The early 5345A counters used a 10544 oscillator, while the later
ones used a 10811.
Can any one tell me what the real difference, in operation, is
between the HP 10544 and 10811 oscillators?
I understand that the 10811 is a later design using a SC cut crystal
while the 10544 used an AT or BT cut crystal.
I understand that the 10811 is faster to warm up.
In a counter that has the OCXO oven on all of the time, is there an
advantage of the 10811 over the 10544 oscillators?
Where does the Vectron 2810007-11 oscillator fit in? Vectron tells me
that this was made to HP specs. What specs?
The Vectron oscillator shows up as a bid item for the military for a
replacement oscillator for the 5345A counter.
Which oscillator does it really replace?
Is there an advantage of the Vectron oscillator over the HP oscillators?
If so what?

Any help greatly appreciated.
I would like to have as stable an oscillator as possible in my counter.
Just need to know what is functionally the best.
IE, without knowing what oscillator is in the counter, is there an
operational way to tell?
Warm-up time? Accuracy? Phase noise?

73
Glenn