[time-nuts] [OT] RE: G P S D O (Ray Hudson)

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Oct 30 15:06:59 UTC 2009

No,

It was designed by a little German company, and Sun bought the rights and
renamed it SunOffice.  Sun was afraid to make it a product, so they open sourced
it, and founded OpenOffice.org as a group to control the direction it grows.
They install a version named SunOffice in every software package Sun sells.

I am pretty sure that Sun is the principal donor to OpenOffice.org's operating
expenses.

OOO is entirely open sourced.  Anyone who wanted to could branch the project and
do it their own way... But nobody does because OOO is doing just fine on their
own.

I use it, and have no regrets.  It works great, is more compatible with MS Office
files than anything that MS sells.

-Chuck