[time-nuts] OT: Spectrum Analyzer

Brent Gordon time-nuts at adobe-labs.com
Sat Oct 31 03:06:16 UTC 2009

I'm thinking of buying a spectrum analyzer and would like to know what
Time Nuts recommend.  My requirements are fairly simple:

3GHz Max frequency or higher
Either GPIB or Ethernet interface for control and data capture
Not much larger than an average desktop computer.  Portable is nice but
not necessary.
Preferably under $3000.

I thought about building Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer or Poor Man's
Spectrum Analyzer, but decided I would rather buy one then build one.

I have an HP 141T but I am looking for something more modern.  One of my
uses will be looking at C and Ku band satellite signals (down converted
to 950-2050 MHz).  I'll also be using it to look at various RF data
links from 433 MHz to 2.4 GHz.

Thanks,
Brent