[time-nuts] Garmin GPS17

mike cook michael.cook at wanadoo.fr
Sat Oct 31 10:32:55 UTC 2009

A stab in the dark. I don't have one of these.

 The doc I find says that these are supplied with a rechargable lithium cell
which enables back up of GPS data . It is supposed to last 10yrs, so if
yours is reaching retirement age it may have gone awol and dropped the
serial parameters to a state which your monitor is not set too.
So you could try all the baud rates listed in the specs. Use a terminal
emulator instead of the monitor program, which appears to be a graphic app,
to see if you getting any data output .

default appears to be 9600,8 bit,no parity

  Serial Interfaces
  a.. Port 1: True RS-232 output, asynchronous serial input compatible with
RS-232 or TTL voltage levels, RS-232 polarity
  b.. Port 2: Asynchronous serial input only, compatible with RS-232 or TTL
voltage levels, RS-232 polarity
  c.. Baud Rates
  d.. 300/600/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200
  e..
Serial Formats
  a.. Port 1: Selectable between NMEA 0183 v2.00, NMEA 0183 v3.00, and
Garmin® binary formats; NMEA 0183 v2.0 (ASCII); Approved output sentences:
GPALM, GPGGA, GPGLL, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRMC, GPVTG; Proprietary sentences:
PGRMB, PGRME, PGRMF, PGRMM, PGRMT, PGRMV