[time-nuts] OT: Spectrum Analyzer

David M. Witten II wittend at wwrinc.com
Sat Oct 31 22:34:09 UTC 2009

As a long-time lurker, I hesitate to presume that something might
interest this erudite and well informed group.  But I came across a
couple of items I have not heard mentioned by anyone.  They are simple
USB dongles  set up as spectrum analyzers.  I bought one of each with
external antennas just to see what they were.

They are not very flexible or probably at all suited to the thread
initiator's needs, but the price  made them irresistible:

http://www.streakwave.com/items.asp?Tp=&iTpStatus=1&Cc=TEST-SPEC-UBNT&CatName=Ubiquiti%20Spectrum%20Analyzers

or

http://www.microcom.us/browse-by-brand--ubiquiti-networks.html

I keep hoping that since they are made by Ubiquity, which I believe is
owned or funded in part by Atheros, they will come out with something
similar for the ISM allocations at 5G+ and perhaps even 3.5G.

Surely there is some interesting use that could be made of them.

Dave Witten
KD0EAG