[time-nuts] HP 5071A Electron Multiplier of Cesium Beam Tube

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sun Sep 6 19:51:36 UTC 2009

A sugar cube sized chunk of Cs does not really present much of a danger,
unless maybe if you eat it.

MSDS's make no real distinction between small lab quantities of chemicals
and industrial quantities. A 55 gallon drum of Cs whould really merit a
HazMat incident, but not a few grams.

It's quite clear that the HazMat people treat every incident as if it were
a major threat. Recently they closed a major highway near here to
"respond" to a leak of under 15 gallons of Aviation Gas. They had foam
trucks, many fire engines, three helicopters, and who knows how many State
Police cars. Traffic was backed up for many, many miles. Left alone, the
stuff would have evaporated in a half hour or so. A single police car and
some traffic cones would have been more than sufficient.

But, the incident was great publicity for the HazMat folks as most people
lack either the technical knowlege or judgement to separate a real hazard
from a PR exercise. They get credit for "solving the problem" even if
there was really no significant problem to be solved. This makes them
"look good".

FWIW,
-John