[time-nuts] High accuracy? GPS position

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 21:54:12 UTC 2009

dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk writes:

How do  you KNOW your position to such accuracy? Is it in fact possible
> to  survey your position to that accuracy by any independent means?
>
> If, for example, you use official survey marks to determine  your
> position by direct measurement, are the survey marks really  that
> accurate?

Yes, I have a National Survey Bolt mark just  down the road from me.

I'm not sure that completely answers the question.

Even if we assume that the position of the bolt mark is known to  an
accuracy of an inch or so, have you measured your antenna position  in relation to
that with sufficient precision in distance and bearing so as  to transfer
that accuracy to the antenna location?

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR