[time-nuts] Are cable delays frequency dependent?

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Sat Sep 12 17:19:34 UTC 2009

Hi

A lot depends on the structure of the cable it's self. For plastic
dielectric cables the answer is normally "yes the delay is frequency
dependent".

One mechanism is simply that the velocity of propagation it's self is
frequency dependent in the material used.  Some of the mechanism's are
pretty crazy. Periodic spacers in air / plastic cables can give some
very odd frequency dependent reflections. Even without something odd
like periodic spacers, the cable's characteristic impedance varies
with frequency.  With constant termination impedances, you have a
mismatch. Again, you get reflections that are frequency dependent.

Bob