[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Sep 13 16:04:51 UTC 2009

Precisely... The GPS satellites don't transfer between each other, but from
the satellite to earth.. But get out past the moon's orbit, and you can't
"see" the GPS signals anymore.

We do a lot of science with sending very quiet (low phase noise) signals
from a probe back to earth: e.g. You can do occultations to look at the
atmospheric structure of moons or the planet, you can do precise gravity
measurements (GRACE and GRAIL, for instance).  The problem is that (as time
nuts are aware) a quiet, stable, low power, reliable frequency reference
isn't easy to come by.  JPL is working on a 1 kilo/1 liter trapped Hg ion
clock, but that's still in the future, it's big and heavy, and consumes
power.

So, if I have an orbiter with a good clock around Mars, and I want to
discipline a bunch of cheaper oscillators on the surface (or perhaps
orbiters), what is the fundamental limit on how good you can do, given the
radio link available from orbiter to ground station.