[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 14 01:26:30 UTC 2009

Oh,  yeah...  shaker tables... gotta love 'em.

I once designed a couple of circuit boards for a rather critical application that was going to take a LOT of pounding.   The mechanical guys had great faith in their work.  I insisted to the powers that be that the unit had to be shake tested...  but they were not taking any of that from a stupid EE.

I finally had made such a pest of myself that they finally agreed to a shake test.  The mechanical guys took their baby in and came back with a bag of parts...  observers said screws and panels were flying like shrapnel.   Mechanical guys quit before they could be fired...

Naturally. There should be more shaker tables around... I have seen so many faults occuring on gear where vibration is never really discussed, but the actual gear needs to survive it never the less.. and it is not launches that I am thinking about.