[time-nuts] Fundamental limits on performance

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 14 06:53:22 UTC 2009

Mark Sims wrote:
> Oh,  yeah...  shaker tables... gotta love 'em.
>
> I once designed a couple of circuit boards for a rather critical application that was going to take a LOT of pounding.   The mechanical guys had great faith in their work.  I insisted to the powers that be that the unit had to be shake tested...  but they were not taking any of that from a stupid EE.
>
> I finally had made such a pest of myself that they finally agreed to a shake test.  The mechanical guys took their baby in and came back with a bag of parts...  observers said screws and panels were flying like shrapnel.   Mechanical guys quit before they could be fired...

To what good? Wouldn't it be better if they stayed and learned? You
build experience by trying, failing and analyzing why... all three of
them. You can also learn by learning from others... so the trying,
failing and analyzing cycle doesn't have to turn as many rounds and be
as expensive and time-consuming... but you still need to do that.

It's the mindset of the organization and the people in it that is
important.

Cheers,
Magnus