[time-nuts] Trimble Mini-T GPSDO

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 01:33:43 UTC 2009

Hi Nigel,

since you are only concerned about a couple of sample units, I would not be
 too worried about the tin-whisker problem. Probability of failure is still
quite  low for a single unit, even if massively higher than with lead
solder. If you  ordered 10,000 units that would be another issue :)

Even if the part stops to work, you can probably take a toothbrush etc and
you might be able to brush off all the whiskers (unless the short was
catastrophic).

I tried re-working RoHs boards with lead solder, and this does not result
in shiny solder joints either. It doesn't even seem to change the eutectic
temperature of the joint much.

Would be very interested in any actual test results you get with your
boards though.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/23/2009 16:23:57 Pacific Daylight Time,