[time-nuts] Trimble Mini-T GPSDO

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 16:15:40 UTC 2009

In a message dated 24/09/2009 02:34:35 GMT Daylight Time, SAIDJACK at aol.com
writes:

since  you are only concerned about a couple of sample units, I would not
be
too  worried about the tin-whisker problem. Probability of failure is still

quite  low for a single unit, even if massively higher than with lead
solder. If you  ordered 10,000 units that would be another issue  :)

Even if the part stops to work, you can probably take a toothbrush  etc and

you might be able to brush off all the whiskers (unless the  short was
catastrophic).

I tried re-working RoHs boards with  lead solder, and this does not result
in shiny solder joints either.  It doesn't even seem to change the eutectic

temperature of the joint  much.

Would be very interested in any actual test results you get with  your
boards though.

---------
Hi Said

I don't think I'm likely to be ordering 10,000 of anything these days so I
guess I shouldn't worry too much:-)

I wasn't sure if resoldering would work but it sounds like it wouldn't so
I'll remember to avoid that one.
At the moment I can be pretty sure that most of what I work on is pre ROHS
but as time goes on I suppose it well get a bit more confusing.

Im not sure either that I'm set up yet to provide precise enough
information to be worthwhile but I'll see what I can do and keep you  informed.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR