[time-nuts] GPS antenna and lightning

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Sat Sep 26 12:44:52 UTC 2009

Greetings,

We get a fair bit of lightning here in Texas.  I'm a transplant from
nearly lightning free California, so I had to go thru an expensive
period of education.  A couple quick thoughts:

Nothing will save you from a direct strike.  At least nothing you can
likely afford.  You're more likely to get clobbered by a surge from
the grid, or induced voltage from a nearby strike.

Use the "box method".  Draw a diagram of your equipment, then draw a
large box around it.  Any wire that enters or leaves the box requires
some kind of protection device.  In the case of a GPS antenna, likely
a relatively expensive gas discharge tube bonded to a properly
installed ground rod by a short length of heavy copper braid.

That said, I still can't bring myself to leave my HF radio gear
connected to an antenna all the time.  I unplug mine when not in use
and place the lead in a stoneware jar on the floor of my garage.

Rob
KC6OOM/5