[time-nuts] 4046 variations (was EPE GPS....)

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 12:03:30 UTC 2009

The old King Radio (then Bendix-King now part of Honeywell) Silver crown aircraft radios used 4046's in some of the synthesisers. The one in the VHF com had a different King part number to that in the ADF (MF direction finder). While trouble shooting we tried an ADF chip in a VHF (didn't have the VHF part in stock). It sort of worked but was slow to lock-up at the ends of the frequency range. Ordered some of the correct parts, both ADF and VHF. They all had the same manufacturer's part number and date code but different King numbers overstamped. Appaently the selected then at the factory for low noise (ADF) or wide pull-in (VHF).

Robert G8RPI.