[time-nuts] VLF time stations in Europe

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Sep 30 19:40:04 UTC 2009

In message <4AC3A6D5.9040706 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:

>I am trying to make an overview of VLF time stations that can reach
>Sweden and may be of practical use.

There is a russian station at 200/3 kHz with timesignals, it's a bit
too faint on my antenna to be usable.

>I know of the Russian military Beta signal (20,5 kHz to 25,5 kHz) [...]

Are you talking about the Omega clone in the 9-12 kHz range or some
other transmitters ?

In general most of the Russian stuff keeps lousy time, some of them
wander off and only get adjusted twice a year etc.

>I also know of Chayka, the Russian equalent of Loran-C. Considering to
>include it.

It's pretty tricky to get a good signal out of, because the GRI is 8000
which means that you cannot filter CW noise out by integration.

See also:
	http://phk.freebsd.dk/AducLoran
	http://phk.freebsd.dk/loran-c/CW/

Poul-Henning