[time-nuts] FEI FE-5680A

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Apr 2 04:10:40 UTC 2010

Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 03:18 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Fellow time-nuts,
>> Second, anything I should keep in mind as I power one up?

>> Cheers,
>> Magnus
>
> There's a bit of discussion in the archives about the need for a heat
> sink, and also about the whether it's necessary to anneal the case in
> a 400C Hydrogen reducing oven after the SMA modification.  (Although I
> do have access to one, it is over the threshold for things I'm willing
> to do.)
>
> Leigh.

If one were to use a trepaning tool with loose abrasive and plenty of
water coolant and slowly grinds the required hole through the mu metal
cover, the thermal stress and mechanical disturbance of the mu-metal
shield should be minimised precluding the need for hydrogen annealing.
This is easily done using a drill press and a suitable tool.
The tool can be assembled from brass tubing and rod. Since the forces
involved are low even soft soldering should suffice.

Water jet cutting should also work well.

Bruce