[time-nuts] simple, cheap clock for the local LAN

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Apr 6 16:27:06 UTC 2010

Hi

The question always is - Am I more likely to loose GPS or loose power?

Other that random bird attacks, a GPS with a proper outdoor antenna is
pretty reliable. With a rational indoor antenna and a modern receiver,
dropouts are normally brief, if they occur at all.

Power has an odd habit of going out soon after bar closing time on Saturday
night. If power is out for more than ten or twenty minutes, I have no need
for time on the local LAN - the backups on the switches and other gear drop
out pretty fast.

Bob