[time-nuts] L1/L2 RX

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Fri Apr 9 09:42:54 UTC 2010

> About the only way for a civilian to make use of L2 is with a carrier
> phase surveying receiver.  They can be had in the $1000 range.  Perhaps
> the most common/useful unit you are likely to find is the Ashtech Z12 or
> one of its many cousins.

A modern (aka 1.6W instead of 20W for Z12) L1/L2 receiver with external
oscillator option went for $250 less than 2 weeks ago on ebay.

I agree with your other comments. As discussed here before, the free tecq
from Unavco, can translate most raw binary formats from past and present
surverying receivers. Many receiver can be coaxed to emit the required
messages manually with a serial terminal program. Others can be guided
with old free DOS programs.

--

    Björn