[time-nuts] GPS PPS smoothing article

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 20:45:28 UTC 2010

I see other problems in the paper as well, for example why did they just
plot a time-domain plot of before and after which doesn't really say much. It
 "looks" less noisy, but that doesn't mean anything. The peak to peak is
very  similar.

Instead they should have put that data into the freeware plotter, or
Stable-32 etc, and shown ADEV plots that can actually discern between  before and
after.

Also, as Matt mentioned if they do only have two dis-similar scopes, then
they could have swapped the scopes, and do an interpolation between the two
datasets.

Or they could have used the "trigger" input in the 500MHz scope (it has one
 for sure) for the reference, and channels 1 and 2 for the before/after
sources.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/11/2010 12:36:50 Pacific Daylight Time,
magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org writes:

Matt  Ettus wrote:
> Interesting work.  They measured the "before" and  "after" signals with
> 2 very different oscilloscopes one with 100 MHz  BW and one with 500
> MHz, which they shouldn't trust..  I guess  they only had 2 2-channel
> scopes in their lab.

Their methods  did leave something to desire, but I thought it might be
interesting  approach never the less and could maybe be inspiring or at
least give a  different angle to things. I have been unable to figure out
what the  frequency is for the XO and what single-shot resolution the
detector and  the generator. But then, I did not spend quality time over
it.

Cheers,
Magnus