[time-nuts] OT: Re Technology. Was Naval Jelly

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Apr 13 16:21:30 UTC 2010

Hi John:

In my youth I made black powder from drug store ingredients and later
bought it in metal cans.

I think the relative cost of labor has changed greatly over time.  For
example it used to be that you could buy a new U.S. automotive head lamp
(reflector type) for under a dollar and have it installed and aligned
for not much more money.  But today the lamp is still under a dollar but
the installation and alignment is a small fortune.  By contrast a Honda
lamp bulb (reflector is part of car) costs about $10 and you can install
it in less than a minute, no alignment required.  The cost of the
installed lamp is much lower for the Honda.

In order to lower the selling price it's common practice for a
manufacturer to buy custom ICs which reduce board area.  But, being
custom, there are no replacement parts so no repair.  When you can buy a
new DVD player for about $40 it's a throwaway product, not economical to
repair even if you could get parts.

The Toyota Prius under charges and under discharges it's battery (66%
SOC & 33% SOC) to prolong it's life.  The battery lasts three times
longer, the customer pays three times as much for the battery.   (I
wonder if there's a hack to change the SOC limits?) Makes the warranty
more impressive.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com