[time-nuts] repairing Maser threads

Dave Powers dave.powers at att.net
Tue Apr 13 18:43:08 UTC 2010

Howdy Corby -

just a couple of thoughts. I grew up in a machine shop and am an aircraft mechanic.

If you haven't used them before, Helicoils require a larger hole to be drilled and tapped, because you basically install a large threaded spacer into the original location with the right size inside threads for your original screw. It takes a somewhat expensive drill & special tap and insert tool to complete.

Another solution - especially with metric - is to tap the holes ( only bad - or all - so that they all match) to the next larger Metric size - of the same thread pitch as original - so as not to cut across the original threads, but just cut the same thread pitch to the next size, such as from 5mm to 5.5mm or 6mm. Then you only have to buy a standard - not too expesive - metric tap - and some new slightly larger hardware.

You can also consider tapping the original holes to the next larger SAE - probably National Fine thread - but your new threads will cut across the original threads slightly.

It really depends on how much room you have to do the work - and how much strength you need -

Hope this helps

Dave Powers - KA0KCI