[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 08:02:32 UTC 2010

The shaker system I used to know of, was used to test early mobile phone
network test systems (with CRT monitors in) that were intended for
"mobile" use, and no magnetic field leaked out of that one.  It was the
size of a small refuse bin, stood about 2' high, (3' dia) verticaly on
the floor, bolted down to a huge block of concrete, and liquid cooled!
The movement was only a couple of mm at most, but the force it could
exert was silly.

As for degausing things after the event...

Hear at the salt mine, we have a HP 3GHz network analyzer with CRT
display we used to cart arround the country when servicing RF power
amps.   One site, a MRI research facility, the "ambient" magnetic field
is strong enough to screw the display off the screen if you are not
careful how you position the analyzer.  You can also feel your toolbox
being pulled sideways when walking around the outside of the building.
Never affected any credit cards though, even when I forgot I had one on
it's own in a coat pocket!

(The main Tech guy at that site could somehow screw an alloy plate into
the field near the MRI scanner, let it go, and it'd sit there in mid
air!   If you tried to get it out, not knowing how, the harder you
tried, the hotter it got.  The Miensner effect I believe.)

We often had to put the whole analyzer through a large home made
delousing coil when back at the office to get the display straight
again.  OK, that was only a monochrome tube (green) but I personaly have
also recovered normal shadow mask colour CRT's in TV's and monitors in
the past, but it takes time patience, and a 9" coil that uses so much
power it gets too hot to hold if you run it for more than 10 seconds!

Remember too, to take the coil WELL away from the CRT before turning it
off!

I've also seen an old guy at a customers site in the past demag a small
colour tube using a small strong permanent U shaped magnet on a stick,
spun between his fingers while moving it arround the affected area.
Absolute magic to watch him doing that.  I guess he's long retired now,
if not pushing daisies.

Regards.

Dave B.