[time-nuts] [OT] degausing

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sat Apr 17 17:54:02 UTC 2010

Hi Magnus:

The needles on a magnetic compass have a weight to counter the magnetic
force in the vertical direction that otherwise would tilt the needle to
the point that it would rub on the compass card or cover glass.  In N.
California the magnetic field in the vertical direction is about twice
the field in the horizontal plane.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Sensors.shtml#EMF

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke