[time-nuts] Regulating a pendulum clock (Jim Palfreyman)

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 11:30:42 UTC 2010

On 08/08/2010, mike cook <mike.cook at orange.fr> wrote:
> Check out Bryan Mumfords page.
> http://www.bmumford.com/clocks/em2/index.html

I did not want to kick the pendulum with a pulse each swing as the
drive would be part and parcel of the existing clock mechanism. What I
was interested in was Don Mimlitch's description of how the Riefler
Pendulum and Warren Telechron Master Clocks work. The control of
constant current to the electromagnet under the pendulum seems quite
similar to an EFC and could perhaps be used in a PLL to sync with a
reference source, as Jim was originally proposing.

Of course, retrofitting a conventional clock like this would require
the attachment of a magnet to the pendulum, necessitating reducing the
weight of the pendulum to account for it, installing an electromagnet
under the pendulum and arranging for each swing of the pendulum to
produce some form of pulse signal. Of course, the timing in pulses per
second of the original clock would have to be determined and the
frequency standard divided down to match this rate before both signals
are fed to a comparator and LPF to provide the 'EFC' voltage to
control the electromagnetic current.

Steve