[time-nuts] Gears.....Digital??

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Mon Aug 9 22:48:05 UTC 2010

I visited a house in Holland where the whole ceiling was one great solar system display and the attic a maze of geared mechanisms to control it all.  Supposedly all that needed to be done was to repaint each decade the year plank that moved along counting the years.  Strange that a man would spend all of his non-working life working on such a project, or that his wife would allow it!!

I have some difficulty believing that the discrete number of gear ratios available could give that level of long term calculation, even if the exact ratios were available.  Various sized (analog) pulleys (timing belts of course) would have been easier.

My wife could not understand the brass plates with all of the holes laying on the ancient desk.....

N0UU