[time-nuts] On low-voltage TAC/TDCs for a GPSDO

J.D. Bakker jdb at lartmaker.nl
Sat Aug 14 11:11:21 UTC 2010

At 19:01 +1200 14-08-2010, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>J.D. Bakker wrote:
>>At 08:30 +1200 14-08-2010, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>>>Using a synchroniser allows the TAC output range to be combined
>>>with the coarse timestamp derived by sampling a counter clocked by
>>>the same clock as the synchroniser.
>>
>>I think we're looking at it from two different angles.
>>
>>What I read from your description is close to the traditional
>>architecture such as used in the HP5335A, with a counter running at
>>the system clock frequency for coarse measurement and a TAC to
>>measure the remainder. What I'm planning to do is more akin a
>>traditional PLL, with the TAC as the Phase Detector. For this to
>>work I assume that a coarse FLL (using a counter) has already
>>brought the oscillator within lock range. Is there any reason that
>>method won't work, or can trivially be made to work better?
>
>Having a wide TAC range means that its resolution and noise depends
>critically on that of the ADC.
>Since some ADCs embeded within processor dont have true 12 bit
>performance this may limit the TAC resolution/noise to several
>nanosec rather than the desired 1ns or better.

No, the TAC range would only be wide enough to cover the expected
spread of valid PPS pulses from the GPS (say +/-500ns...+/-1us).

(I've thought a bit more about what you proposed, ie using the TAC to
measure synchronizer delay. Problem is I'd like to use the
timestamping counter that's internal to the CPU, and I see no way of
getting at the output of its built-in synchronizer. This could of
course be fixed by using an external timestamping
counter/synchronizer, but that seems like a bit of a waste of
resources).

>>(The regenerated PPS output will indeed be derived from and
>>synchronous with the VCXO/OCXO. It is also my intention to have the
>>OCXO clock the microcontroller, either directly or through a
>>prescaler, depending on whether the XO runs higher or lower than
>>the max CPU clock).
>
>That ensures that all intermod products are harmonically or
>submultiples of the OCXO frequency.

Indeed. I prefer knowing where my birdies are (and preferably placing
them where they do the least harm), rather than having them drift
over time, frequency and temperature.

>>>The output compliance of your four transistor current mirror is
>>>limited to around 1.3V or so before the onset of saturation or
>>>gross nonlinearity.
>>
>>It's actually better than that, from what I can see from
>>simulations and measurements. If the transistor currents are close
>>to equal and the ramp rate isn't too high, output current stays
>>within 1% up to ~1V, and the mirror saturates at 0.6-0.7V. This is
>>with common small-signal transistors with an fT of a few hundred
>>MHz.
>
>Really?
>There are 2xVbe + 1x diode drop to subtract from 3.3V ie somewhere
>from 1.8V -2.4V leaving a ramp amplitude of 1.5V to 1.1V depending
>on temperature and transistor current.

That's what I thought when I first saw it and started counting
junctions, but it's actually quite a bit better than that as the
cross-coupling of the transistors steers current from saturating
transistors into the bases of the opposing CE transistor. I found it
in Barrie Gilbert's chapter on Bipolar Current Mirrors in the book
"Analogue IC Design: the current-mode approach"; Google Books has a
preview of much of this chapter.

I've tried it in the simulator and on the bench, and it works quite
well. If you want to test it I suggest increasing the current source
to 10mA, the cap to 10nF and starting with 150R for R1/R2 plus 10R
emitter resistors for the CE transistors. I've tested it with the
common European BC5xx/BC8xx-types, but LTSpice seems to like it with
2N3906s too. In that configuration, the ramp stays within +/-150uV of
a linear approximation over a ramp range between 0 and 2V when
ramping at 1V/us, which corresponds to +/-0.6LSB for a 12-bit ADC.

>>[I should probably make a sketch of the entire GPSDO and post it]
>Yes that would be useful as details can often be important.

I have to leave now, will do so when I get back.

Thanks,

JDB.
--
Years from now, if you are doing something quick and dirty,
you imagine that I am looking over your shoulder and say to