[time-nuts] Regulating a pendulum clock

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 21:43:31 UTC 2010

In my post below I didn't understand how a constant electromagnet on
the side of the pendulum could adjust the pendulum rate.

Well I've worked it out. Despite common misconceptions pendulum swing
rate is not independent of amplitude. It is to the first order but not
when calculated properly.

The magnet when applied either reduces or increases the amplitude and
hence makes minor adjustments in timing.

Pretty neat for 40s technology.

Jim Palfreyman