[time-nuts] (no subject)

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Aug 20 17:00:58 UTC 2010

On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:07 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> The TBolt OCXO does have good noise characteristics. Unfortunately you have to pull it out of the unit to figure that out.

Is its phase noise substantially worse when it's in the unit? I.e., is the rest of the TBolt adding a lot of phase noise to its output via its power and/or tuning voltages?

I'm powering my TBolt with an HP 6236B bench supply rather than the cheap open-frame switcher that came with it. Based on what I read, powering the TBolt with a switcher adds a lot of noise/spurs to the OCXO spectrum. My unit has the Trimble-marked OCXO, which I gather is supposed to be a lot better than the Piezo-marked one. My TBolt is presently just screwed onto the top cover of the 6236B, which is probably far from optimal. I have the whole setup installed in a closet, so at least it doesn't get nailed with a blast of cold air every time the air conditioner turns on.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/