[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Aug 20 21:19:48 UTC 2010

It is good that you asked this FAQ.  Basically, what is magic
about the AMC-123 is that it has certifiably low phase noise,
guaranteed by design and characterization, although not specified
by Anzac.  The other 99.9% of amplifiers that seem plausible, like
this one, do not have the sophisticated negative feedback scheme
of the AMC-123, and likely do NOT have good enough phase noise.
In any event, we have zero information about the phase noise of
this Mini-Circuits amplifier.  Having a low noise figure is necessary
but not sufficient to have good phase noise.

Of course you could always get lucky.  But then you have to also
build an amplifier phase noise measurement system, which generally
entails a line stretcher.

Again, thank you for asking this question.  It comes up often.

Would anyone else like to suggest a known good low phase noise
buffer amplifier?  Maybe something from a Fred Walls paper?

Rick Karlquist N6RK