[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement (was - no subject)

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Aug 21 18:50:22 UTC 2010

On Aug 21, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> I suspect you will have to hand wind the magnetics.

Ah, bummer. I thought that the two 1:5 transformers specified in the patent might be realized with this part for an amplifier for use at 10 MHz only:

http://minicircuits.com/pdfs/TT25-1.pdf

However, I got the feeling that autotransformer L1 might need some odd turns ratio to get the impedance matching right.

Am I anywhere close to making sense, or am I still droolingly clueless? :)

> The 5109 was still in production last time I shopped for them.

I didn't find them at Digi-Key, but I just looked at Mouser and found them still available, made by Central Semiconductor:

http://www.centralsemi.com/PDFs/products/2n5109.pdf

I'm so accustomed to tiny surface-mount stuff in my day job, that I'm always surprised to find anything through-hole still in production!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/